South Dakota Patent of the Month – March 2022

Plasma, the liquid portion of our blood, makes up about 55% of our blood. The remaining 45% consists of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. Plasma holds over 700 different proteins many of which have distinct therapeutic applications. For instance, certain proteins are used to clot blood and prevent excessive bleeding. Because of these therapeutic applications, donating plasma helps save and improve the lives of thousands of people around the world. 

When blood is donated, it is separated into components. The plasma is then treated to remove any viral or bacterial pathogens. Unfortunately, the traditional methods are ineffective at removing any autoantibodies or disease mediators. This can prove problematic or even dangerous if the recipient has a negative reaction. 

ImmutriX Therapeutics, Inc., a medical technology company, has recently developed a device capable of cleansing whole blood. Their device can even remove these autoantibodies and disease mediators, meaning the resulting plasma is safe to use on anyone. By creating a deeper cleanse, the final product is a universal plasma which means any recipient can safely receive it. This means your blood type may no longer be a limiting factor to receiving blood transfusions.

Their system uses a series of treatments where the blood is processed with:

  • Hydroxyapatite;
  • Carbonaceous materials;
  • A support matrix chemically associated with an antigenic determinant (i.e. Blood Group A, B, or AB). 

They found that this process effectively targets these autoantibodies and mediators, removing them in a “dialysis-like” procedure. At this point, they have successfully removed 70 molecular targets. With this technology, patients can anticipate greater recovery rates and fewer side effects when receiving donated blood.

Are you developing new technology for an existing application? Did you know your development work could be eligible for the R&D Tax Credit and you can receive up to 14% back on your expenses? Even if your development isn’t successful your work may still qualify for R&D credits (i.e. you don’t need to have a patent to qualify). To find out more, please contact a Swanson Reed R&D Specialist today or check out our free online eligibility test.

Who We Are:

Swanson Reed is one of the U.S.’ largest Specialist R&D tax advisory firms. We manage all facets of the R&D tax credit program, from claim preparation and audit compliance to claim disputes.

Swanson Reed regularly hosts free webinars and provides free IRS CE and CPE credits for CPAs. For more information please visit us at or contact your usual Swanson Reed representative.

Recent Posts