North Carolina State Incentives
NORTH CAROLINA AVAILABLE INCENTIVES
State Credit Name: North Carolina Research and Development Tax Credit
Expiration Date: Indefinite
Who Can Apply? Corporations and flow-through entities
Credit Carry Forward: Unused credit can be carried forward 15 years.
About the Credit:
The taxpayer is eligible for the North Caroline R&D tax credit if they meet certain criteria, including:
- meeting the wage standard,
- providing health insurance for employees,
- maintaining a good environmental record, and
- having a good Occupational Safety and Health Act record.
There are five different tiers of credit rates depending on business type:
- Small business: 3.25%
- Low-tier research: 3.25%
- University research: 20%
- Eco-industrial park: 30%
- Other expenses: 1.25% – 3.25% dependent on level of expenses.
Notes: Only one credit rate is allowed for the same expenses. If more than one category applies to the same expenses, the higher credit is used.
Click here to find out if you qualify for the federal research credit.